Thursday, October 11, 2007

Proverb of the Day


From the mouth of a wise man
Eat to live, not live to eat.
- Socrates

But it all just tastes so good! That's what I always tell myself. It's funny that I would pull this proverb today. Just yesterday as I was roaming the isles of trader Joe's, I told myself I was going to start eating a bit better. Then I strolled down the frozen food isle to find my new favorite dessert. Tiramisu Gelato! Yes I bought it, and yes i am eating it now. Here's proof.


But seriously? Have you ever sat down at the end of the day a wrote down everything you ate and drank over the last 18 hours or so? Sometimes it can be a bit disgusting. Ever since I had Emerson I am lucky if I even get a shower in every day let alone and well balanced diet. I just don't have the time or the energy. When I am out and about the best thing for me is to drive through and hope I can scarf it down before she wakes up from her car time slumber. I can't put all the blame on being a new mother, after all it is partly my fault. I think I live to eat. I absolutely love junk food. But with this love I do have some self control, and I do know when enough is enough, it's just the second I have a taste in my mouth it HAS to be mine. Especially those McDonald French Fries... with sweet and sour sauce... mmmmm.

So here is my new commitment... I will eat to live, not live to eat.

Favorite live to eat moment:
Every year Baker and I love when the fair comes to town. It's like our one day no questions asked that we are allowed to eat whatever and how much of whatever it is that we want. The summer that we got engaged we had our second first date at the fair. We ate it all.. Funnel cake, corn, pork, battered potatoes, snow cones, and anything and everything that we could find fried. As disgusting as I felt at the end of the night, it was still the second night I fell in love with my husband, and that is why it will forever be one of my favorite memories.

8 comments:

Paige said...

Jenny..I totally have the live to eat disease. If I have a meal that isn't that great, I am so bummed. Like I wasted a meal and I don't know when the next one is coming. I love love love to eat. Especially dessert. It hasn't gotten me anywhere. So i'm going to try to have a different disease...

Paige said...

P.S. The fair in Phoenix starts tomorrow. Take a weekend trip and I'll stuff my face with the Morphy's.

regibells said...

Corn and funnel cake...yummmmm! I would be hungry reading this if I didn't just eat three peices of Pumpkin roll! Hey if you have to live to eat...might as well live off of the good stuff.

Becca said...

ahh food.. I go back and forth! Some times I forget to slow down when it comes to eat and other times I'm like " oh it's 2 and I haven't had breakfast. That's what happens when you have kids!It's all a blur at times!

Andrea said...

Ha, our boys are such big eaters and Jeremy is always saying to them..."Eat to live, don't live to eat" LOL.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

jen, i love your new blog! i need to become more random in my postings- randomness is so much more entertaining!

Mands Glenn said...

Jenn, I know totally what you mean. Whenever we go to the Stampede in the summer we scarf like you do at the fair. I knew I was more and more in love with Jordan's family when after we had just eaten dinner and then headed off to the Stampede and the first thing we did when we go get there was eat pizza, mini donuts, carmel apples, and etc etc. I love eating too! You married into the right family for sure!

Mandy said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FOOOD:) Is that bad?